Moving homes can take 8 to 22 weeks and even longer if you’re migrating longer distances. However, everyone’s relocation process is unique, and the time it takes to move can vary. Several factors contribute to ensuring a smooth and efficient move.
If you want to streamline your moving process, here are a few ways to make your journey easier.
Hire Movers Hauling your entire life in boxes across the states is challenging, but hiring help can make it easier. Relocating is a tricky and complex process where many things can go wrong. One packing mishap can damage precious items during transit, occurring in 1 in 10 packages. Most of these cases are due to inefficient packing materials and techniques. During a long-distance move, your items travel a long, bumpy path to reach your destination and can easily be lost, misplaced, or harmed. In this case, hiring a professional moving company with quality packing services can provide a sense of security and ensure the safe transportation of your belongings.
Though the initial investment may seem costly, hiring professional movers can provide you with insurance if your items get damaged. The standard cost of hiring movers is $2,100, but this cost can vary according to the size of your home, the number of workers you require, and the area you live in.
You should thoroughly research local moving companies to get the best price for your long-distance move. Look up long distance moving company near me and then get a free quote to decide which company fits your budget best. However, only choose trustworthy companies with proper accreditation and valuation insurance options to ensure they take complete responsibility for your precious belongings.
It’s common to misplace essential items or documents in unlabeled boxes, which can be a headache to sort through. It would help if you always labeled your boxes to know the exact location of everything. It can also help you pack faster because you can sort similar items in a specific package. By providing a designated room for each package, movers can easily put boxes where they belong and save valuable time. If you’re hiring help from a moving company, their trucks may contain boxes from other families. In that case, you should also consider labeling every box with your name.
You can label your boxes in multiple ways that can help make the moving process easier. You can write a room designation and list the opening priority to ensure you only open boxes you can immediately sort through. This technique saves time and effort by letting you know where each package goes. Likewise, mark boxes with fragile items to ensure movers handle that package delicately and prevent damage.
Most households accumulate a lot of junk over the years. It takes excess time, effort, and money to pack these items. What’s the point of bringing them to your new home if you won’t use them? Instead, removing them as you pack would be wise to decrease the items you need to transport. You can start decluttering by allocating each item into the following boxes:
- Donate: For anything in good condition you will no longer use, consider donating it to someone who will. Suppose you have old clothes or furniture you will replace once you get to your new home. In that case, consider donating them instead. You can also donate blankets or bedsheets along with other everyday household items.
- Sell: If you want to save more money for your relocation, sell old kitchenware, decorations, and furniture in a yard sale. Take pictures of items you want to sell and post images online. Consider posting to multiple sites like Craigslist or eBay to increase your chances of finding customers willing to buy the price you set. However, keep the selling price higher than you want because people will try to lower it by bargaining.
- Remove: Whatever items that you aren’t able to sell or donate go in this box that will go to the junkyard. Consider making this box for last after you’ve tried the other possibilities. Once you’ve gathered all your junk items in one place, it will be easier to dispose of them.
Allocating items to these boxes can help you decide what to do with them. It’s one of the first steps of the moving process, which simplifies packing later on. Ideally, you should remove as many items as possible and travel light for a smoother relocation.
3. Stick To a Plan
Having a plan is crucial to ensure you get everything done on time. It acts as a roadmap for the moving process and helps you prioritize each task, which includes a budget and a schedule. A long-distance move is a long and tricky procedure where many mishaps can occur. Having a plan keeps you steady and aware of potential challenges, allowing you to deal with them effectively.
Creating a budget and moving a timeline is essential to keep you on track and prevent you from wasting precious time and money. Sticking to a plan allows you to focus and prioritize important tasks. Having a plan gives you something to compare your progress to and pushes you to finish everything on time.
4. Moving Day Tips
After all the preparations, the moving day is the most crucial. It’s the most stressful and tiring day, from double-checking every room to ensuring you didn’t leave anything behind to preparing for your long journey. You can easily make mistakes during this day, which is why you need to be mindful of the following:
- Keeping all necessary files, documents, and IDs with you
- Creating an essential items kit that includes medicine, snacks, and water
- Ensure the movers are loading your precious belongings properly
- Handing over the key to your old residence to the landlord
- Exchange phone numbers of the moving truck driver to establish contact throughout your journey
Most importantly, don’t neglect to take care of yourself. It would be best if you were in peak condition to travel the long journey ahead. After moving, you still need the energy to unpack and set up your new home, so take this opportunity to rest as much as possible.
It depends entirely on how smooth your relocation process is. If you manage your time and resources effectively, you’ll see that moving is not as dreadful as it seems. You can enjoy a seamless and tension-free move by utilizing the strategies from this article. So, hire professional movers and get started with your moving process.